Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Christmas Post

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate, especially with tons of marshmallows.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps. But when children come into our life I think he will probably just set the presents out unwrapped under the tree and by the stockings. I really like the idea of this and can just imagine the looks of excitement on my children's faces. Can you imagine being 5 again and every which way you look, new toys. How overwhelmingly fun!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I think white are beautiful, but colored lights are so much more exciting for children. I'm wanting to buy a pre-lit tree on after Christmas clearance, but the pre-lits are almost always white lights. I'd like to mix it up a bit...

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Sometimes, when I happen to notice it for sale somewhere.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Sometime around Thanksgiving depending on my work schedule. I enjoy a long holiday season. A funny story - the first year my husband and I were married, I decorated for Christmas in October. I was so excited for our first Christmas together that I went all out months in advance!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My grandma's dressing. Homemade, not from a box and delicious! Something that I look forward to every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I loved listening to Christmas music on my parents record player. Elvis Presley, the Chipmunks, you name it. I'd love a cd recording of all of those tunes with the record scratches built in. I can remember listening to Christmas music during tree decorating and while my mother baked in the kitchen. Everything for the season just revolves around that for me. Maybe that's why I've only listened to the 24 hour Christmas radio station since Thanksgiving.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't have any recollection of this. I do think that I spoiled the news to my little sister a year or two around the time I found out. She's five years younger than me, so I feel bad for taking away a piece of her childhood.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As a child yes, but usually it would turn out to be something clothing oriented. Once it was a teddy bear, but usually pajamas or a coat... I don't want my children to get into this tradition though. I want to draw out their anticipation as long as possible - is that mean?

10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? Usually chocolate chip or sugar cookies. Nothing too fancy smancy.

11. Snow. Love it or Dread it? LOVE! I've come to appreciate it's beauty.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes. Forward, around the rink in a circle, but nothing more than that.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I received alot of great toys on Christmas that it's hard to remember one specific favorite. I always loved Barbies. I think it was Christmas that I received a three story Barbie house that I loved. It was my height and had a working elevator.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Traditions. Remembering the old ones and making new ones. I am excited to think in the next few years I'll be setting the traditions for my children to remember for years to come.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Blackberry or Peach cobbler. I love pumpkin pie too!

16.. What tops your tree? Nothing this year, our tree is so small. In the past a star, and a poinsettia. As a child, an angel.

18. Which do you prefer Giving or Receiving? Giving, especially the search for the perfect gift for someone. Unless I'm short on time, I like picking things out for people that are not on their wishlists.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Carol? "Mary Did You Know" or "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Neither. I'll eat one if it's there, but they are not my favorite.

4 comments:

Nunzia said...

Merry Christmas to you and God bless!

Devion said...

Well, it's about time you updated, Michellelyn (picture Tara saying it)! I'm excited about starting traditions for our kids, as well. What fun! I have so many good memories of holidays tha tit will be so neat to instill those for our children, huh? Well, have a very Merry Christmas and I'll see you next week or something!

Joyce said...

This was a fun post to read, Michelle! Hope that you had a wonderful Christmas--and that the new year is a blessed one for you!!

Devion said...

WOULD YOU PLEASE UPDATE?!? GOLLY, GIRL! It's not like you have anything BETTER to do!!! Did you get your keyboard, by the way? Hope you did and it's fun! See you Tuesday!