Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mix it up I say

Change. For the most part I love it. I love it when I am in control of it. I like to make subtle changes in my life to mix things up, throw a little variety around. My hair color has been changing since I was a freshman in highschool - 10 years now - I am in shock typing that number. Along that line, my haircut always changes. Short - long - short - shoulder length - short - now we're in for the long haul to make it past my shoulders again. Before I had a degree I'd probably changed jobs 10 times in my life, maybe more, but who's counting. Speaking of a degree, I changed my major many, many times along the path to my becoming a Registered Nurse. I change my hobbies like their going out of style, I change my short term goals, I change my mind.

But my favorite change.

I love to change the look of my home. My living space. Mi casa.

When I arrived home last night I took to it. It was not in my plans. I had not decided this until I walked through the front door and noticed a piece of furniture had been displaced. Quickly enough all of my furniture, large and small, was piled in the middle of the room. I didn't have a plan of action, or even a picture in my mind as to where all of these items would land when I was done with them. A little to the right with this one, a little more to the left. Let's take this piece from one room and replace it with this piece. Oooooh my mind was a racing with ideas. Let's put this on the wall over here, let's change the color scheme a little. Mix it up I say, the more the better!

I've only lived here for just under 5 months and the scheme of things had already grown old to me. I needed a different outlook on life and I needed some change to make it all feel better. Now I'm happy. I feel like I'm in control again. I took matters into my own hands and made a change that I can visibly see now everyday.

I don't know when I'll get the urge to make a change like this again. It may be a couple seasons away, a couple months, maybe even weeks. All I know is that I like change, large or small, as long as I can have total control of it all.

No comments: