Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm a survivor

Well I made it through my first class alive and my ego is still intact. As the classroom was beginning to fill my mind was telling me to run, hide, getaway and never look back, but I didn't listen to it. All 26 students made their way to their seats, everyone older and more experienced with life than their teacher scared out of her wits in the front of the classroom. My hands were trembling and my palms were sweating. I felt as though I couldn't make eye contact with anybody too long or they'd see me for the fool I was, trying to pass myself off as somebody who knows something about breastfeeding. Wait, I did. It took awhile for my confidence to build and I realized that once I showed the BF video, which I hadn't watched until just that moment, it supported nearly everything I had just taught. Success! For next time: I know that my notes will need to be better organized and I'm going to make my students notes to follow along, I know I need to educate myself more thoroughly on breast pumps and other random tidbits where they had several questions, and I know that I'll survive - which is the most important of all.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Good job Michelle! I'm glad to hear that all went well! By the way, is it a class for new mothers? Or is it a class for nurses?